STAR is a not for profit charitable organisation that provides a teaching and volunteer service for people with disabilities who wish to live in their own home and require assistance to do this successfully. We operate throughout inner metropolitan Adelaide.
STAR strives to assist individuals to achieve their potential to manage and maintain their homes and enjoy a community-based lifestyle of their choice. This is undertaken by the provision of a teaching programme, resource development and a volunteer programme that meets the specific needs of each individual. STAR is funded by the South Australian Government through the Department for Communities and Social Inclusion and also through both State and Federal Government through the Home and Community Care Program.
To teach, support, advocate for, volunteer with and create opportunities for people with disabilities to have a community based lifestyle of their choice.
The community has the responsibility to ensure that every individual has the greatest possible choice of lifestyle and life path. We believe that this responsibility can NOT be compromised on the grounds of a person’s ability.
- Assisting and encouraging individuals to achieve their goals.
- Respecting clients’ dignity, privacy and achievements.
- Acknowledging and working with existing support structures.
- Striving to develop teaching resources appropriate to the needs of our clients.
- Supporting people to experience an inclusive lifestyle of their choice.